Saturday, September 25, 2010

A Walk Up Hill.

During our lunch break at school, one of the architects working on surveying the school asked me what the main differences are between America and Africa. That was my first time that I have been asked that. I told him that things are much more simply in Africa, you have what you have and you make the best out of it. I told him that in America we have so many options that people are very spoiled and in the long run end up not very happy at all. I told him that in America there is more fast food and mor obese people. He chuckled. We then got into a discussion about school. I told him that elementary schools in America have time during the day when the kids will go to music class for an hour, or go to gym class. He thought I was talking about extra curricular activities. He couldn't wrap his mind around that. We talked about how different school in general was between Africa and America. His name is Caleb and he wants to come to Massechucetts to get his masters in interior design. The classrooms that I have been helping out in have desks a chalk board cemenet floors and minimal decorations or school supplies. And yet these kids are very respectful and take their education very serious:) Only 7% of Tanzanian children complete secondary school. Which was so shoking for me to hear. Around 10:30am we have Chai, where we drink coffee and eat amazing treats, it's a great pick me up in the mornings. It has been very "cold" here the last few days. Misty rainy dreary. I can even see my breath most mornings. But it never fails that the sun comes out every afternoon:) It is in the middle of winter here, and the temps are slowly warming up.

On Thursday I went to my first "send off" with Sister Julie Anna. A send off is essentially a going away party for the bride to be with her family and friends the thursday before their saturday wedding. We packed some scones and away we went. Little did I know that we would be walking uphill for 2 hours to reach our destination. It was in a little village with very beautiful sights:) I was pooped though. They had a traditional service with a pastor, wishing them good luck in their future and such. The bride had maroon and gold on and her sister had the same dress on. The women members of the family had different combinations of maroon and gold on. After the serivice, we walked another 20 minutes to where the celebration was to take place. There was a dj, tents, and caterors. They had traditional wedding cake, which was a goat....Yup didn't partake in that haha. It was very interesting to see another cultures' celebration of marriage. And the wedding is today and there will be over 600 people there, I have been told. Thankfully Sister Julie Anna and I got a ride back to the Orphanage with sister Allie so we didn't have to walk:) But it was quite the adventure needless to say.

The babies are doing wonderful. They are slowly learning my name, Dada Molly, (sister Molly). They bring me so much joy. Waking up every morning the sisters warmly greet me, and my breakfast is always waiting for me. Then I go play with the babies and they attack me and drool all over me. It is a wonderful feeling to know that when I wake up every morning I have people waiting for me to give them my love and it is very much reciprocated. I am learning new swahili words as well. Tabia mbya sana means "very bad manners." I hear that a lot with the little ones as the Sisters are trying to show them right from wrong. This morning I woke up to freshly baked cake for breakfast. It was a mix between coffee cake and pound cake. A great way to start the day.

That's all for now! Thank you for your continued support and prayers. I am enjoying my time here very much. I still miss everyone at home, but at least now it is more bearable to be away. I know my time is limited here and that I will be returning in a litte over two months, so I need to make every moment count here! Have a great day!

Love Molly

No comments:

Post a Comment