Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Getting into a Routine.

As I was reading the other day I stumbled across some scripture from Jeremiah that touched my heart. Of course I can't remember what verse and chapter, but it went something like this..."don't leave anything prematurely, god has a plan for you and stay to see it out all or your days...." i probably butchered that but it was worth a try! any way i found comfort in it.

My days up at the orphanage have been great. Very very relaxed though, I sometimes go a bit crazy. Back home I am so used to busy busy busy, that I feel that I am not making an impact when I am just hanging out with the kids and not doing a whole lot. But rest assured God has a purpose for me here:) He has blessed me with wonderful Sisters that show me hospitality and love each and every day, it is great, even though we don't understand each other always. The whole English - Swahili barrier. But they show me grace and try and help me improve my Swahili. So a typical day looks like this: wake up at 8am, have breakfast, consisting of bread, hard boiled eggs, and coffee, getting ready for the day, then going into the baby house at 9am. They are usually getting their milk or being bathed, so I watch them and love on them and make sure no one hurts themselves while the sisters are busy with the other babies. I help feed them lunch around 11am then they go down for a nap at 1130am. Then i go to the 2 year old house and help feed them. They have their blended food in a tin cup. Most of them can eat by themselves, but some need to be spoon fed. That's where I come in to help. Then I eat lunch around 1230pm, consisting of rice, beans, vegetables, and water. In the afternoon I have time to hang out while the babies are sleeping. I usually read, or write, or find something to do. They usually wake up between 130 and 200 and then i play with them some more. I can come and go as a i please and do what i want there. I work better with directions, but the sisters insist that i don't work that hard! The other day I went to the market with Sister Julie and got fresh fruit, vegetables, and meat. Then i helped prepare a salad for dinner by chopping up vegetables....I usually eat dinner around 630-700, by then it is pitch dark out...After dinner I shower, read, occasionally call my boyfriend:), journal about the days events, and then go to bed. I have been going to bed at 10 PM and getting up at 8 AM, that's ten hours of sleep a night people! Something I never saw in college. ha

The occasional trips into town are wonderful! Today I road the dala dala into town all by myself. Big step for me. It is the equivalent to and astro van and they pack as many people as they can in there and stop at various stops and it gets you to town haha! There was a baby pracitcally sitting on my head this morning, and i was shoulder to shoulder and knee to knee with everyone else. And of course I was the only white face on there...It was a bit awkward. But it only costs $.67 to go on the 45 min-1 hour adventure into town. So it is way cheap, but surely an adventure. While in town I usually score some American Food and get more credit for my phone so I can have communication with the outside world. I have met a few friends here so far, so we get together in town and hang out. Two girls from Omaha live just up the road from me and are teaching in a school near me. So it will be nice getting to know them better! And the best news of all! I am getting my hair braided on Saturday, something to look forward to. It will be easier to maintain my hair because I don't have to worry about washing it and having clean warm water to do so:) Gross i know, but only in Africa.

That's all for now! Thanks for the support, prayers, and love. I miss you all. Hopefully my days will continue to go by smoothly and not drag on for ever:) I am trying to enojy every single moment that I have been given here. I will not get any of them back. I am look forward to every day here as a gift from God, and to see what he has inside that present for me. Take care everyone and enjoy your day!

<3 Molly

1 comment:

  1. keep it coming. We get to live the mission life through you that we can't have right now, due to the mission lives we're living in our own homes!!

    ReplyDelete