Monday, September 6, 2010

Church and Visit to Arusha

Church Sunday was an experience. It was all in Swahili, but you could just feel the power of God in that place. The sisters and the young women in school sang at different times and their voices together are just beautiful! The pastor introduced me and I stood up and waved, it was kind of awkward, haha. There was a sister sitting next to me and she was translating most of the sermon for me. I took communion with them, and pretty sure the "grape juice" was some form of alcohol, but who knows. Sunday was pretty low key I got to read and write and nap after church. Then Sister Angus took me into town to meet Farryl and she was with three other wazungu, white women:) Two from Ohio and one from Germany. We went to Farryl's house where she is staying and had dinner, but my tummy wasn't feeling that well so i didn't each much...

THEN yesterday we went into Arusha, crazy town. Farryl me and the two Ohioians set out on a journey. We went to the bus stop, and they were very eager to put white women on the bus, good money, except it's the same price for everyone. So i say next to farryl, and then a women and a child got on the bus and she had a chicken in her bag! It's little head was sticking out and scared the crap out of me haha. It was 1.5 hour ride to Arusha. When we got there we went to the Masi market and bought some treasures and then we met Farryl's Lawyer friend Will for lunch. He works for the U.N. at the Rwanda Criminal Tribunal Hearings....where they have court going on from the 1994 Genocide in Rwanda. He took us to lunch at the Blue Heron....and let me tell you....the food was FABULOUS! I got a pizza and diet coke (coke light as they call it) and devoured it, it was the first time my tummy has been full since ive been here. After lunch will took us to his work, and we got to go listen to some hearings! They are open to the public, had to go through security and such. But it was cool! We sat in a room and watched through the wall with head phones. It kind of dragged on bc the counselor wasn't making a very good cross reference trying to blame the whiteness for something. But i am glad that we got to go. The bus ride home took FOREVER! and there were sweaty people all over, practically sitting on my lap because they don't leave until that bus is jammed full! After a long day i slept so good last night!

SO today Farryl and I are in town (moshi) doing internet, getting fabric, phone credit and such. We are going up to the orphanage today this afternoon (in Machame)! I am getting so anxious! I feel like I have been lolly gagging around here, but like Martin and Pastor said it is good to get used to the culture and acclimated. I will meet the girls from omaha today up there. Then I will come back to the convent and rest up, and off to sleepy i will go:) Tomorrow I finally move in with the babies. I saw my room and it is actually really big, so that will be nice to have my own space!

So that is all for now! Can't wait to move in with the babies and start serving them and loving on them:) Have a great day everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Molly-
    A new blog to read!! AWESOME!! Cheryl Honey sent me the address. I do one justtwiddlin.blogspot.com but it's only adventures in my life here. Yours will be so good. When I was in school, I went to Miracle Mountain Ranch and made a friend from near Binghamton. She and her husband and family are in the US on leave, but they have been missionaries in Africa for years! And they love it. I've not been good enough with looking up where they are, but now I shall see where you are. After picking Albert up from an orphanage, there is a more pressing desire in the future to serve an orphanage on a mission trip, but I think sometimes those week or 2 week things are more of a visit, and you don't get into the meat of the work. So glad you have this opportunity to show God through you actions. I think the homesickness will reverse when you leave. Those people will be so deeply in your heart... We'll be praying for you--Bless you every day..

    Love Karen Bensink, Scott and family

    ReplyDelete