Tuesday, September 28, 2010

No Hurry, No Worries...

No hurry and no worries describes Tanzania to a T. Last night I was thinking, I have only been here a month, have I learned anything yet, or are there somethings that I want to take home and apply to my every day life in Nebraska. Well the answer is yes. At home it seems like I am ALWAYS in a hurry, running back and forth between places, always having something to do. I like to add un needed stress to my life, Quenton can attest to that. It seems like I am constantly worried about something back home, or trying to plan and micro manage everything. WELL since being here, I have come to find out that that way of life is not entirely necessary.

I know that there is a huge difference between living in Africa and America, but some of the basic principles still apply. People over here have amazing faith and thank God for everything. Even though some of them barely have a roof over their head, they still enjoy life and are happy and content. They thank God for blessing them and helping them to survive another day. Going into town you see many people walking hand in hand, or taking a nap on the side of the road, soaking up the sunshine. People are always happy over here and never in a hurry. They don't worry about day to day hardships, they just work hard and trust that everything will fall into place:)

The people of Tanzania have been a big inspiration for me so far...( well not the ones that constantly shout "mzungu"-white person- or the ones that make kissy noises or ask me to give them their money, those people just frustrate me:) ) But the people who barely have anything to their name but are so full of joy and love and hospitality, they are teaching me a lot. For instance, when I get home I am going to make a true effort to sloooow down. There is no need for me to be running my self ragged day in and day out, and trying to plan things, and micro manage things. I need to give all of my worries, trials, and concerns to God, and trust that he will help me through it all. In America we have so much, yet so many of us are unhappy. And that is truly because we are spoiled. I feel that it is necessary to humble yourselves and live among the least of these, to truly experience what joy is about. My first month has been full or emotions of joy, sadness, and just plain being overwhelmed:) But I can tell that God is working in me and helping me to become the women that I am supposed to be. He is helping me become more relient on him, and helping me to focus on the joys of the day instead of the sorrows.

I have two months left, and I can't wait to see what else is in store and to see how God will use me:) And now I will leave you with a funny story....

A few days ago I was outside with the two year olds and Hermici was hugging Sister Nirou around the legs. All of a sudden he starts to pee (they are potty training and don't wear diapers) and I grabbed Sister Nirou's arm and said "Look out, he is peeing!" And she sighed, with a big smile on her face and said "Nimeshiba, hakuna matata!" Which means, he is satisfied, no worries. I about died laughing. It was one of the top ten moments here so far. Next in line to eating homemade pizza for dinner with the sisters and watching a comedy show in Swahili on TV with them:) Priceless.

Thank you for the prayers and the wonderful messages! Have a great Tuesday.

Love Molly

2 comments:

  1. I loved this one Molly! You are so right....I think I need to take your advice too! I'm glad you are learning and are open to what comes your way! I can't wait to read more! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank goodness, this is pretty much what I pray about for you every single day! I can't wait to see you try to "slooow" down when you get back. Love you!

    Love,
    Quenton

    ReplyDelete