Saturday, October 30, 2010

L.O.V.E.

Mother Teresa once said "We can do no great things, just small things with great love. It is not how much you do, but how much love you put into doing it." Lately I feel like I haven't been doing big, great things. But then I am kindly reminded that loving matters just as much if not more, when you are taking part in anything.

I will give you all various stories about my week:
Monday morning I went to town and went to my first bakery in Africa, it smelled so delicious. When I returned to the orphanage, momma Beatrice left around 3pm, which left Sister Grace and I in charge of the two year old house. Complete chaos soon took over:) After bath time, sister grace was mopping and then she disappeared for a good 20 minutes, i thought she was preparing the children's dinner, but no such luck. So they began getting antsy on the potty, and i wasn't sure what to do. I finally found her, and by time dinner was ready they were very crabby, and pretty soon food was flying and they were peeing on me and themselves. I just had to laugh:) Needless to say I took my shower before I ate dinner that night.

Tuesday I spent all day with the children. In the morning I took off the 2 year olds sweaters because it was starting to warm up, and Hermini had bit of a temper tantrum. After I took his sweater off he preceded to take his pants and underwear off, took off screaming down the lawn and threw them over the side of the retaining wall. It was soo funny:) Then later he threw his shoes over the side of the retaining wall again, and I grabbed his little hand, walked him down to pick them up, and brought him back sat him down and put his shoes on. He looked down and said "Asante (thank you) Momma Molly" Precious. Then Sam was sucking on his toe while sitting on the "merry go round" toy, so I removed his little foot and a rock fell out of his pants, and dropped right on my foot. Yup, left a bruise. Ha, silly kids. I shared my chocolate bar with sister dorie and jennifer. They were preparing dinner and sister jennifer held up a cucumber and asked how to say it in english. I said cucumber and she said that is the same as a cup....which is actually cucumbe in swahili. ha.

Wednesday, while i was walking up to school, Brenda was waiting with her sister to catch a ride up the hill. I said i was walking to school, and asked if she wanted me to take her, she said yes, i am a complete stranger mind you. So five minutes after walking a car with a family headed up to school stopped and offered us a ride, i was meeting ariel, so i put little brenda in the car and off they went up to school...You don't see that happening in America either! Then up at school, the pre-one class was doing the B-I-B-L-E song, and when it came time for the child that was holding the L sign to say L....NONE OF THEM could do it. Ha teacher Hilda went through probably 8 students before one could finally say L. During lunch it down poured rain...so classes were canceled after lunch due to the rain and mud. Don't see that happen in America. Wednesday evening I asked pastor urio if we were expecting any new children. He said, "we hope to god no, but if they do come, we are ready with loving arms to welcome them." Well duh Molly, who wishes children to become orphans and move into and orphanage....Blonde moment for me:)

On Thursday the two year olds were carrying around their green wash tub and saying "carry carry, in swahili" they were using team work, it was so cute. They didn't like it when I set one of the kids in the bucket...then they couldn't pick it up:) I finished thursday out feeding the babies their poragde before they went to bed, and I immediately was covered in their food...as usual:)

Friday, I helped administer tests to standard three, so they can continue to receive curriculum from America. They needed to see how much they have learned this quarter. So they were tested over reading,math,science, and social studies. It was interesting.

Well I have one month left in Tanzania! I feel like I have become bilingual, and when I try and speak English at the orphanage, I just feel dumb:) It doesn't feel right...so now watch I come home and all i speak is swahili!

There is no safer place to be than in the hands of God. I remind myself of that daily:) Fourth quarter begins now, these last days are more important than the first days. I need to finish this trip out strong and make the most of every moment!

Thanks for the prayers and support! I will be home in one month:)

2 comments:

  1. There are days in an American school, I wish we could also slow down the pace! We have had Parent-Teacher Conferences, football play-offs, early dismissals, road-trips, and that was only Mon. through Thursday! I appreciate your thoughts and inspiration! I'm sure the test results of your 4th quarter will tell the leaders something of your student's progress, but as I set in front of a Hispanic parent, she just kept hugging her daughter and smiling. I came to the conclusion that the 5th gr. History test over the 13 colonies really didn't matter. I just slid it under the table and savored the moment. God is good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you have this gift Miss Molly! Can't you just feel yourself swelling up with love by giving it to others??
    Blessing to you this week and hugs to the kids...that one should take you awhile!!

    ReplyDelete